Sunday, February 1, 2015

Ice Fishing? Sure! I'll Try Anything Once.

 I must start this post by saying that I am not the most "outdoorsy" Minnesotan in the state. However, ice fishing is arguably the most classic winter activity, so I had to give it a try!

I have been ice fishing one other time in my life, when I was around 13. I remember I spent the entire time panicking because I could hear the ice expanding (aka making loud cracking noises) underneath me. Now, ten years later I put my big girl pants on and headed out to one of the largest lakes in Minnesota, Lake Minnetonka.
Not having much of an idea of what to bring, my dad equipped me with an auger, fishing pole, and grub worms. As you can tell by the expression on my face, I thought those grub worms were pretty nasty. 

Besides that, getting started was pretty simple. First step, drill a hole in the ground with your auger, this also doubles as a workout. Next, bait the hook and get ready to get up close and personal with those grub worms. Finally, grab a bucket, drop your line in the water, and wait.
 

I'd say the hardest part about ice fishing is not drilling the hole or baiting the worm, but waiting for the fish to bite. While I had several layers on, it was about 13 degrees outside and I was freezing. I stared at the two fishermen next to me with envy, as they walked into their toasty warm ice house. I tested my patience, and after about 8 minutes I decided to call it a day.


Although it was a great experience and I am glad I tried it, I have decided my favorite part of ice fishing is warming up with a big cup of hot chocolate afterwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment